Sunday, November 30, 2008

Merry Christmas! Wait...you do Christmas, right?

While Lawyer Boy continues to paint our dining room, I have been charged with ordering our annual Christmas card to send to those we love and/or feel badly about having not seen all year. I love picking out a photo for the card for the inherent narcissism it involves: "Here, you can put me on your fridge!" Picking the photo was easy, since there aren't too many pictures of us both looking sporty this year. And as much as I always want to include the cat in the picture, I feel that's one step closer to taking pictures of us in matching reindeer sweaters, and that's a road I just can't travel down. Also, we have a friend who is afraid of cats like the cast of the new "90210" is afraid of eating, so I'd feel bad sending her a card that would make her shriek (wrong holiday). So here's the photo I picked, from a friend's wedding:

Please note that if it weren't for that little blue snippet of dress showing at the top, I'd look completely nude in this picture. Now there's a holiday greeting we could all get behind! "Check out THESE tidings! Love, The Thoreaus."

Now, on to the hard part: the message. I could always put individual thought and heartfelt sentiment into each card, and order them with just the photo, but when I can send everyone the same message and hope it strikes the right note of Christmas joy in each of them...why? We realized we only have one friend who's only Jewish on our list--we have several who light the menorah next to the Tannenbaum--so we decided we would stick to "Merry Christmas." And that's as far as I've gotten with the message.

Some discarded options include:
May the misteltoe be good to you this year. Get it! Get it! Love, The Thoreaus.
Wishing you the warmest of Christmas greetings, and the smallest of tree fires. Love, The Thoreaus.
Merry Christmas! Please turn your house off so we can sleep. Love, The Thoreaus.
Hoping you have a merry Christmas, and enjoy the enclosed Chia-Tree. Love, The Thoreaus
Merry Christmas from the Thoreaus. No, we aren't having kids yet.

Lawyer Boy has taken over this project.

1 comment:

natedawg said...

you dressing up as a tennis pro is pretty sporty